Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Geneologist's


A Geneologist's who are this amazing people?
What keeps them up at night?
Why do they start a family tree?

Just a few of hundreds of questions you could ask of a geneologist's and their families, they will honestly give you a full and passionate answer to your many questions. Yet to tell the truth, you get the feeling that they secretly wonder about why they started such an all consuming adventure as well.

So not being able so speak for others I can only say while many answers swish around in my head, it started the very moment I discovered a small throw away comment said to my mum by a friend of hers.
 "And does you mothers still think she will find her birth mother at her age?"

I was shocked!
I don't know anything about this!
Was my great nanna not my great nanna?
Why did grans mum give her away?
And that is terrible!

Well it isn't really terrible at all I fact it is truly sad, but at the time terrible is a word I used a lot when I described my grans birth mother.

Then it started.....I will find records.....how do I do that?
Rob for his own reasons, had just started hunting down and finding I might add (way back when all this started) his families information, records that made our mouths from the shape of big O! More then once those first years.......the huge amount of times I would say to Rob my gosh, is that right? And he would say well there it is in the records. 

So following his amuture way (at that time) about hunting down family from his past I decided to follow!

Three days nothing!
Five days mmmm! Maybe!
Two weeks past and still nothing....
Then it happened! The world of geneology came made its true presence in my life!

The face went a bright pink! The mouth made that huge O and I ran around the house and into the garden to find Rob.
 Poor Husband, I dragged him and his spade which he hadn't let go of through the house to our very old and slow working computer to show him the most wonderful record (my very first!) and when I think back now it wasn't a very wonderful record it was about as sad as you can get.

There on our tiny screen was a newspaper advertisement in an Adelaide paper the year was 1910 and it read:

Baby healthy for adoption to be given away!
Child is a girl and born just 10 weeks ago to Clean white parents.
Please contact the woman's father via the papers
Urgent request to have the child removed.

Of course this is not exactly the wording but almost correct, and I have left out the child's family name and the mothers name but it was and is my beautiful grandmother being taken from her mother and given to the only great grandmother I have ever know.
She loved my gran so much and card for her as if she was her own!

I am greatful for her love and she and great grandpa could not be anywhere else but in our family tree, loved by all.
But there was another branch and another woman the birth mother of my gran and I had to know more...........yes the word hooked comes to mind.

So the dictionary we have here defines a geneology as:

A record or table of the descent of a person, family or group from an ancestor or ancestors; a family Tree.
The study or investigation of ancestry and family histories.

That may be true but I feel it is so much more! It's the knowing, the caring and the loving! of family.















No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin